I find the following to be common sense ideas. However, sometimes we need to be reminded of the following to reduce the chances of having a break in/burglary when we leave our residences:
- Always remember to lock all doors using all the safety features such as deadbolt locks, sliding door pin locks, handle locks and security bars.
- Leave Televisions and radios playing.
- Make sure all windows are locked.
- Let a trusted person know when you will return. This is especially necessary if you share a space and the others will not be traveling. A housemate may not realize that a burglary occurred if you did not communicate that to the housemate.
- Don't put keys under doormats or close flower pots. These are common places for thieves to find keys.
- Use light timers for nights. This will give the appearance of occupancy.
- Stop mail and literature deliveries especially if these are to be left in open area where people passing will see.
- Be ready with door keys before you approach your door to reduce the chance of being attacked and injured while burglary is done.